Friday, August 26, 2011

Be A Friend

School is back in full swing and everyone in our house just about has a different schedule.  Of course, my hubby is still busy at work and now helping coach a fall baseball team; which means for the boys and him two practices each week with two games on Saturdays.  Madison has a laundry list of things that she is involved in this year which includes before school practices and after school practices, and after practice practices...shew!! And that leaves me as the taxi and gofer to make certain that all is on the calendar prepared for and taken care of.  I truly wonder how all you full time working moms do it? You are a hero to me for sure! 
A new year always has its new challenges and we have endured many over the last couple of weeks.  I praise God for seeing us through and loving me despite my flesh.  It is so very humbling to know He loves me that much! 
My son came home from school after the first day a little lonely not having any of his guy friends in his class.  I had asked who he sat with at lunch and he began to tell me about the boys that he is friends with that passed by 4 empty seats next to him at his table.  Of course I asked him if he invited them to sit with him and He said no.  I then had to explain to my son that in order to have a friend we must be a friend.  
I believe that is sometimes a hard lesson for us to learn.  We see someone we know and expect them to make the first move of conversation or be the one to invite us to lunch or an event and when it doesn't happen we assume they don't like us or don't want to be friends with us.  Sounds silly or a bit petty but how many times have you gone to church or a community function and you felt like you were not really there, invisible to all present. We leave telling our spouse, "I know she saw me but she just walked right past me." Or as we sit on the back pew of the church and there is meet and greet time, we stay still in our pew, we don't cross the Jordan, we don't look to our left or right or three rows over, we expect them to come to us.  And why is that? Is it from our own insecurities? Do we have an attitude of selfishness and think everyone should do for us first? Is it because we are just a visitor and feel it isn't our place to make the first move?  Why is it that even as a 10 year old boy, our mind and body is stuck in a seat watching opportunity pass by?
Again in order to have a friend we must be a friend.  A relationship requires work and sometimes it will require more work on one person's part until establishment is made.  
We had a stray dog show up on Saturday at our house.  I was not happy at all! You see we have four dogs already another one is NOT needed.  Our male dog was extremely happy to see this sexy female come into his life and boy did he want to let her know how excited he was to see her.  Lol!  We tried to shew her away and send her down the road but she kept coming back.  And why was that?  My male dog made her feel welcome (so did my children, of course!)  
This is a perfect picture of friendship, someone walks by and our job is to get excited that they are in our presence.  Of course, we don't have to act like a male dog chasing a female dog but you get my picture! Lol!  Relentless, never giving up until we know we have made that person welcome.  I have shared a million times with my Sunday School girls and my kids, imagine everyone with a sign around their neck that says "Make me feel special!" I can say when I was younger this was an important part of my everyday life and for some reason after having all my kids and dealing with my own insecurities I have fallen from this. I can see where I have missed out on friendships and opportunities to share Christ because I have not been a friend to begin with.  Oh God forgive me, that I have not loved my neighbor as you have loved them.  
Many times in the Bible the Lord instructs us to love our neighbor as our self.  “You, my brothers, were called to be free, but do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.  The entire law is summed up in a single command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other." Galatians 5:13-15
God is good to warn us not to sit on the opportunity to love someone else. He is gracious to remind us over and over again in His Word and to express to us the importance of loving those that are around us.  Yes we are free but with freedom comes responsibility, a responsibility to be a friend! And lest we take heed there will be consequences.
Encouraging you today that as you meet new people or just mingle with the same ole ones...be a friend, make them feel special, love them as you love yourself, as Christ loves you!!
 
Anyone want a DOG??????????
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment