Monday, September 3, 2018

Taken In







“When he came to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples, but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he really was a disciple. But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. He told them how Saul on his journey had seen the Lord and that the Lord had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had preached fearlessly in the name of Jesus.”
Acts 9:26-27 NIV

“But Barnabas took him.” I just could not get past those four words. Barnabas took a risk in trusting, believing, and helping Saul. I mean I’m sure the last thing he had heard about Saul was that he was killing Christians, and now he is preaching the gospel?!? In my fleshly thoughts I’m saying, How? Why? What in the world?? Are you crazy? Do you want to get yourself killed Barnabas? God didn’t give you a brain for nothing! Then my heart hurts for that one everyone has run from and pushed away because of their past. He is a person too. One that desires just like everyone else to be accepted and loved, regardless of their sin. And Barnabas does that. He didn’t think twice. He encouraged the disciples to also love and trust. He encouraged Saul to keep on keeping on and he encouraged the church to do the same. Am I a Barnabas in others lives? Or do I turn away from encouraging others because of their past? Do I “take” them in as Barnabas did and help them on their way? 

In this move of towns and schools I have witnessed many Barnabas’ in my life. Not that I was Saul and slaughtering Christians and came to a conversion but I will say we are in a foreign land, foreign territory just as Saul was, a new unexpected journey. I have experienced the “taking” in and the encouragement of several to keep on keeping on. Can you imagine what Saul felt having someone take him in and help him along the way? 

Oh Lord, that I may be a Barnabas to all I come in contact with. Let me not look at past hurts, reputations, or brand them as outsiders but help me to only see the life you created that should be taken in and loved along their way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment