Thursday, February 14, 2019

Seek Him First

November 30, 2010


Matthew 6:33 “But seek first his kingdom”

I knew going into December was going to be extremely busy and time management would definitely be a task to give to the Lord. Yesterday was a rush day. You know what I am talking about….one of those days when you rush here and do this and then rush there and do that, and then along the way a few things pop up that you have to rush and take care of as well. Then its rush to car pool and rush home to prepare a rush dinner and then rush back out the door to take a child to practice and rush to the grocery store because you didn’t have time to do that yet either. Then rush back to pick up a child and rush by to pick up something you left at a location then rush home to find….YOUR SON HAS LOST HIS NEW PAIR OF GLASSES IN THE YARD AND YOUR HUSBAND HAS ALREADY HANDED OUT SPANKINGS TO ALL KIDS!!! Ohhhh, the joys of being a parent and mother.

That was not at all how I intended for my day to go. In my mind it had played out much differently! I am sure my husband and kids would say the same thing. But that is usually how life goes, right? We have such big plans and then BAMM! Life happens! But what do we do when life happens? I believe that I failed the test. Sitting this morning, reading God’s Word, searching for Him, recalling yesterday’s happenings and having to repent and ask for forgiveness, and realizing in all the hustle and bustle I did not call upon my Lord yesterday.

Thinking of my son’s glasses and how they spent hours in the cold, wet, and dark night looking for a needle in a hay stack and not once did any of us think to call upon the name of the Lord. Well, let me back up, because unbeknownst to me my son was probably praying to find his glasses. The rest of us were all too angry to think of anything different. And why is that when we need God the most we take refuge in our anger or in our own strength?
“We like finding refuge in what we already have rather than in what we hope God will provide.” Francis Chan
It saddens me to know I took refuge in my anger instead of the Lord. I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else in the house that was mad and got mad too. I chose NOT to seek Him in a situation that could have played out much differently. Choosing to seek Him, I could have been the calm in the storm but I was just fuel to the fire. It also saddens me to know I missed the opportunity to pray with my boys and to teach them to seek the Lord even over something as small as lost glasses. (But lost glasses…I mean seriously!! How do you NOT know they aren’t on your face anymore? And WE JUST GOT THIS PAIR TWO MONTHS AGO! I mean really??? THEY JUST FALL OFF AND YOU DON’T KNOW???? And why were you fighting with your brother anyway?? REALLY?? UUGGGGHHHH!!!)

Although there were many lessons for them to learn; don’t pester your brother; don’t hit your brother; don’t fight with your brother; don’t go outside with out permission; if glasses fall off, IMMEDIATELY look for them…and the list goes on. But the important lesson here I believe is seeking God on ALL accounts, even when we are angry, even when people pester us, even when we think we can handle it, even when life is too busy, even when our day is rush rush, even when we don’t feel like it.

Whether the lost glasses will be found that is still the question but learning to seek the Lord first is the real truth. I praise Him that as I was once LOST He FOUND me and has not stopped SEEKING after me. Seek Him First!!

No comments:

Post a Comment